Navigating School Open Days: A Guide to Making Informed Choices for Your Child’s Education
Choosing the right school for your child is a significant decision that requires extensive research. School open days offer an invaluable opportunity to explore the environment, meet educators, and gain insights into the school’s culture. In this guide, we provide you with an overview of what to look for at a school open day and suggest some useful questions to ensure informed decision-making.
- How warm and welcoming is the atmosphere?
When you arrive at the open day, pay attention to the atmosphere. A warm and welcoming environment is often indicative of a positive school culture. Take note of how staff and current students interact with visitors. Equally significant is observing how staff and pupils interact with each other when not directly engaging with visitors. This will provide a more precise insight into the overall warmth of the school atmosphere and community.
- Explore the facilities
Assess the learning environment and envision your child in that space. Look for tidy classrooms, displays that showcase and celebrate the work of pupils, and quality educational materials such as charts, maps, and learning aids to support learning.
Explore facilities such as our science laboratories, and sports fields. Make sure to find out how frequently pupils utilise these spaces and how it aligns with the curriculum.
- Discover the curriculum
Learn about the school’s curriculum and educational philosophy. Consider whether the school offers a well-rounded education that includes not only academics but also extracurricular activities, arts, and sports. This will give you a sense of how the school supports the holistic development of students.
- Speak to as many people as possible
Take any opportunity to strike a conversation with the headteacher, teachers of all year groups, office staff, pupils, and existing parents. This will allow you to build an authentic picture of the school from a number of perspectives. Does what they say match up with the school’s ethos, values, and priorities? Do the teachers speak genuinely and passionately? Are the pupils polite and confident?
Useful Questions to Ask
- How do the school’s values and ethos permeate everyday school life?
- How does the school support students with different learning styles or needs?
- What extracurricular activities are offered to enhance the overall development of students?
- How does the school incorporate technology into the learning experience?
- How is student progress assessed?
- How do pupils perform compared to the national average?
- How are teachers and staff trained to handle diversity and promote an inclusive environment?
- What measures does the school have in place to ensure the safety and well-being of students?
- How does the school communicate with parents regarding student progress and school events?
- Can you provide examples of how the school fosters a sense of community among students and parents?
- What resources and support systems are in place to help students navigate their academic and personal challenges?
Questions to ask pupils
- What do you do during break times?
- What is the headteacher like?
- What subjects do you enjoy the most? What subjects do you enjoy the least?
- What extracurricular activities would you recommend?
- Are there any school traditions or events that you particularly look forward to?
Visit The Webber Independent School
- We are an independent school for Children aged 6 months to 16 years based in Milton Keynes. At Webber Independent School, we build within our children a lifelong love of learning, which will equip and prepare them for their individual journey to success – whatever that might be! Life at Webber is vibrant, engaging, and academic. Whether you decide your child will join us at 6 months old in The Webber Nursery, or in Senior School ready to take on GCSE examinations, we are committed to delivering a first-class individualised learning experience that drives personal development and growth within each stage of the Webber journey. Undoubtedly, there is nothing quite like a first-hand experience at The Webber.
Every day is an Open Day
Our school is a hive of activity which we would love for you to experience.
Our Open Days run once a year during the Autumn term, to attend an Open Day please check back for bookings otherwise please arrange a bespoke personalised tour with our Headmistress via our enquiry line and enjoy our warm atmosphere, meet our qualified specialist teachers, and talk with our lovely students. It is the perfect way to understand our academic approach, focus on life and employability skills, and understand how we develop a growth mindset.
Please contact Sandra Murchison our Registrar on 01908 574740 email email@example.com Or submit an enquiry HERE and our Registrar will get back to you at the earliest convenience.